Hundreds Of Ovens Sold At Argos Urgently Recalled Over Fire Risk

Consumer electronics brand Bush is contacting customers after hundreds of ovens sold at Argos were found to pose a fire risk.

According to Trading Standards, an error was found on page 15 of the instruction manual for the Bush LSBBDFO Double Electric Oven in black or white.

The misprint was made in the section which told customers how to properly connect the cable for the oven.

The error means that customers and qualified engineers who install the kitchen appliance using the supplies instructions could wire the connector box wrong, which in turn could cause the oven to overheat.

In extreme circumstances, the retailer has warned that the wiring could cause a fire and crack the tempered glass front if the oven gets too hot.

As a result, customers who purchased or installed the oven are being advised to stop using it immediately.

The notice only applies to any Bush LSBBDFO Double Electric Oven with the catalogue number 8629445 or 8629517 purchased before 10 May 2019.

Modified instructions were included in all double ovens sold after that date.

Argos is advising customers who have purchased the oven to contact them directly on 0345 257 7271 so they can arrange for the appliance to be tested by a qualified engineer.

In a safety notice, Argos said: “We are very sorry for any inconvenience caused.

“Customer safety is extremely important to us and we appreciate your understanding in this matter.”

An Argos spokesperson added: “We are contacting customers to make sure they have the latest installation instructions for the Bush Double Oven.”

The warning follows a similar recall of Whirlpool tumble dryers which took place last month after they were found to pose a fire risk.

The government’s safety standards watchdog stated that more than 5m tumble dryers under Whirlpool’s Hotpoint, Indesit, Creda, Swan and Proline brands were identified as needing a fix to make them safe to operate.

A fault in the dryers was blamed for at least 750 fires over an 11-year period.

At the time, a spokesperson for the firm said: “Safety is our number one priority and we remain committed to resolving any affected tumble dryers that have not yet been modified.”